Six reasons why you should embrace the off-the-shoulder top and dress look this summer.
1. They look good on everyone (I could stop right here).
2. Off the shoulder tops give instant flirty, sex appeal without being overly sexy. (Perfect for conservative fashionistas, women who want to attempt to wear this look in the office, and women who like a little mystery).
3. They can be dressed up with a skirt and strappy shoes as I did or down with shorts and Chuck Taylors.
4. They elongate your neck and highlight your collar bone (pro-tip: add some highlight on those shoulders)
5. Many of these tops (and dresses) have embellished or oversized sleeves that help give a little drama to your outfit while hiding a problem area that many women are working on (our upper arms!).
6. They signify political power- off the shoulder tops have evolved in fashion as a statement of independence and femininity. They say to the world “we wear what we want when we want and conventional rules do not define us” (all that and you look cute too? I’m sold!)
Interested in creating your own off the shoulder look? Check out these finds from Lane Bryant, Forever 21, Kohls, and The Avenue.
Your eyes are not deceiving you - you are seeing spots (and polka dots) everywhere. Big ones, small ones, red ones, pink ones. As Spring continues, different brands are coming out with their take on the trend.
In the past polka dots were a pattern that plus size women were told to void. Wait a minute, that was stripes. Or was it animal print? To be honest, it really was every print. Times have changed. We haven't just reclaimed the right to wear what we want, but we are owning it. Prints like polka dots can compliment a curvy body and make any look visually interesting.
Polka dots can also bring personality to an otherwise boring outfit and be perfect for the Hill or Wall Street. Black and navy may be your office uniform, but a polka dot shirt can transform your outfit.
Featured throughout this post are a few ways to wear polka dots:
1. Pair large polka dots with small polka dots like I did with the shirt and top from Target.
2. Add a leather jacket for edge.
3. Let the pattern speak for itself!!!!! (The blue and white ModCloth dress)
I remember what I was doing when it happened. I was sitting at my desk, drinking water, typing a press release, and trying to just mind my own business.
I opened Instagram and everything changed. Eloquii dropped a new capsule collection with make up artist Priscilla Ono and there was no way not to GAG! What's even better, is that it was launched just in time for #Beautycon - a magical play land for make up enthusiasts!
"I've built my brand on creating bold makeup looks for women who are unapologetic and own their power when expressing themselves through beauty or fashion. Creating a clothing collection has been a dream of mine and I found an amazing partner in both ELOQUII, a brand that I have long admired and Beautycon where the pieces will be featured live," said makeup artist, Priscilla Ono in a press release." As a leader in the sizes 14+ market, ELOQUII focuses on serving their customers directly with fashion-forward pieces, which aligns with my passion of creating unique and fun makeup looks for my clients. Working with the brand has been an incredible experience and I'm so excited to get this bold collection in front of our fans at Beautycon this weekend!"
The gorgeous collection premiered on the main stage in New York for many - and in stores nationwide for the rest of us. (I didn't take the trip to NYC for Beautycon this year, but if they keep merging with fashion, I may need to change my travel plans, ha!). So, what is a fashion blogger to do? GO SEE THE COLLECTION!
On Sunday, I visited Pentagon City's Eloquii and tried on what they had available. Yes, girl, styles are already sold out. See pics below.
The press release goes on to say the new collection "blends utilitarian and feminine style, featuring neon, sheer fabrics, cargo separates and head-to-toe bold hue." It is designed for the fashion and beauty enthusiasts on-the-go - filled with "trend-driven, functional pieces detailed with hidden compartments for lipsticks, makeup compacts and more. "
So now you've seen the collection, do you agree?
Cherry blossom season is one of the most anticipated times of the year in our Nation’s Capital. Not only does it bring hundreds of thousands – maybe millions – of tourists to D.C., but it marks the beginning of spring (and spring fashion).
This year I celebrated the opening of our Japanese flowers with a photo shoot featuring a dress from Eloquii’s 2018 collection. While the dress was last season – the lewk was allllll about this one!
Spring has sprung, ladies. It’s time to get our outfits. As, I did, don’t be afraid to look in your closet for last year’s goodies. (No one knows unless you tell them).
n March 15, I joined Harold Fisher on WHUR’s Daily Drum to talk about upcoming Spring trends. We talked about everything:leopard print, buttoneer for men, jackets for women, how to layer, how to keep it cute, and how to save money all at the same time.
Click the link above to listen to the interview. And, read my quick Spring style tips below: